Monday, February 15, 2010

Pack Woes Over?

I mentioned in my previous post how, when I filled it with pillows, my Mountainsmith pack didn't allow me to move my head backward. Around the time that I made this unfortunate discovery I had also emailed M-S customer support for the specs on the two packs I own; one is the Approach and the other is the Ascent. I'm still waiting for a response from M-S, but I figured, while I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting...) that I would bust out of my M-S comfort zone and help myself. That (and the fact that I just wanted to buy stuff) had me perusing the interwebz for a new pack or two. I know some people believe in light-weight gear and supporting smaller, niche, gear makers but I think that, for the position I am in, I would best be served by going with a better known brand. Also, if you haven't checked recently I can tell you that UL gear is expensive. Because I am not adverse to buying "last years model" I found a couple of Deuter packs at the REI outlet. The first is the AC Lite 16 daypack. I didn't really need another daypack but I kinda got wrapped up in the whole air-suspension thing and decided "why not?" The second pack I got is the Futura Zero 50 (and apparently it was the last one REI had). So far I've had the ACL 16 out once and it feels kinda weird on my back. Not in a bad way, just different. The Futura Zero 50 has so far only been stuffed with pillows but the differences between it and my M-S pack are HUGE! If you have a pack you love you know what I mean when I say the Zero 50 just feels good. Of course you can expect some reviewing by me when I get a chance but until then you can check out Backpack Gear Test for the Zero 30 or YouTube for a review of the Futura 42. The Zero 50 is similar (albeit harder to find) to both of these models. Also, keep checking back for a test/review of an impulse buy that may have solved my (lack of) cookware issue.

On a non-gear note, be sure to click on the link to the Outdoor Bloggers Summit to the right. The site is chock full of goodness and has a directory of all types of outdoor blogs (camping, hunting, fishing, etc.) so you can be sure to find something that tickles your fancy.

No comments: