Thursday, April 22, 2010

Please Wait....Re-Routing....

Once again, I present to you : A New Route. After thinking about it, and reading Adirondack Journey concerning the parking/fees situation at The Garden trail-head and the absolutely free parking at Upper Works, I've come to the decision to change my starting point to Upper Works. I was willing to pay the $40 dollars to park at The Garden but then I thought to myself, "Why pay if I can drive for a half hour and park for free?" Whereas my old camp three was just a spot that looked good on my map, my new camp three will be at Scott Clearing; so I can be reasonably sure of finding a campsite. And, it may or may not be a plus but, the area east of Colden and Flowed Lands is black bear territory so I may get a sighting or two in. Lastly, with the added threat of possibly having to park in the overflow lot at the airport I didn't want to risk having to walk or hitch to pick up my car (the shuttle only runs Saturday and Sunday). So, the new route. The plan is now to start at Upper Works, make my way to Panther Gorge for camps one and two (bagging Skylight, Marcy and Haystack on day two), head to Scott Clearing for camp three and then hike out to Upper Works. The added bits are in red and positioned on the left of the map. Upper Works Rd and trail-head are at the lower left point.


No comments: